Welcome to Uganda Lodge
Uganda Lodge is set amongst the rolling hills of SW Uganda, about 40kms past Mbarara and very close the main road, Uganda Lodge is ideally suited for both short and long term volunteers and for tourists to rest for a few days on their way south for a mountain gorilla safari, other tours or to visit Rwanda, Burundi or the Democratic Republic of Congo. Volunteers can spend time at Ruhanga Development School helping to advance its facilities and/or working directly with local children in other capacities; the new village medical facility or in other community development work.
Those choosing to volunteer with us can spend time at Ruhanga Development School helping to advance its facilities and/or working directly with local children. Our new village medical facility and our links with the nearby local hospital at Itojo enables us to offer affordable opportunities for medical electives.
Although Uganda Lodge is privately owned and managed by Denis Aheirwe, it is run as a social enterprise business and visitors who stay there can rest assured that all profits from the accommodation plus the safaris he runs will be used to enhance the living conditions of villagers in the community.
We believe we offer the best value volunteer experience in Uganda if not Africa itself, so why not visit us and discover the ‘Pearl of Africa’ for yourself?
- Established in 2007 with only 1 nursery class of 10 children
- 550 children across 3 nursery and 7 primary school classes
- 15 teachers plus 15 non-teaching staff including cooks, matrons, security, drivers and cleaners
- Students aged 3-19 years – assigned to a class based on exam results, not age
- 30% of the students board at the school during term time
- We do not receive any financial support from the Government
- Student fees per term are approximately £6 for day students and £35 for boarders
- We offer subsidised transport for day students living a few kilometres from the school
Ann McCarthy, first visited Ruhanga in 2005 and met Denis Aheirwe. She was so impressed with what he was trying to achieve for his community that she went home and started fundraising. Read more >>
Make a donation
The progress at Uganda Lodge has been down to the generosity of people like yourselves who make donations to the project. More >>